Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Sabermetrics of 2012 Detroit Tigers

I picked up Moneyball a bit early this year. With the passing of the holidays, I have learned that it is wise for me to at least wait until February to begin putting together a fantasy baseball team, or watching The Natural, or beginning to read a book like Moneyball... But I couldn't resist as I have never read the book and it has been on my nightstand for a couple of months. I have been intrigued by the book, especially the chapter on Bill James and his creation of sabermetrics. Bill James essentially created a whole new way of looking at baseball statistics in the 1970's and he called this method sabermetrics. Here is an example of one of his equations.


James suggests that instead of gauging defense by errors, instead we should gauge defense thought Range Factor (RF), which is, as seen above, putouts plus assists divided by the amount of games played.

Easy enough, I thought to myself as read through the chapter. And then I began imagining putting together an equation for the success of the Detroit Tigers 2012 season, and this is what emerged.


Thus... Last year this number would have been approximately 3.73, assuming the Leyland is burning at least 3 cigarettes per game in the tunnel. 
.317 + 3 + 4.37
______________
(1 + 0 + 102)/50

This number almost got us to the world series.  If this number can raise to over 4.15, I bet our team will be dancing with the trophy in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment